Michael Shackleford is the mathematician and webmaster at The Wizard of Odds, a gambling site focusing on cutting the house edge as much as possible on all casino games through optimal player strategy.
There can be no debate that online gambling is a lot different than gambling in a physical casino. In some ways it is better and in some ways it is worse. Below are my pros and cons of online gambling, based on my personal experiences, compared to gambling in a “real” casino.
- Online gambling is a competitive business and many casinos will offer a lot to get and keep your business. Many will offer sign-up bonuses to new customers, adding 10 to 50% of their initial deposit to their bankroll (see below for more on this subject). Some will randomly deposit money in customer accounts and others will give away vacations for specified levels of total money bet.
- The rules are usually better than in physical casinos.
- You don’t have to travel long distances. The casino is in your own home.
- You don’t have to suffer real casino annoyances, like smokers.
- You don’t have to feel obligated to tip.
- You have to be patient about getting your money after you cash out. In addition to waiting periods on the casino end there are also delays on the credit card end. Two to four weeks is the norm for the time between cashing out and your credit appearing back on your credit card. Debit cards are much faster taking only about 3 to 5 business days.
- Customer service can be spotty depending on where you play. Some places offer great service via e-mail and a toll-free number. Others take several days to reply to an e-mail, have no known telephone number, and generally seem like they just don’t want to be bothered aside from taking your money.
- The player has no power or authority to turn to in the event of a dispute. Usually in the player agreement it says the casino can make up the rules as they go and in the event of a dispute the casino’s word is final.
- If you play at a lot of places your credit/debit card statement will be a nightmare to balance.
- Transactions seldom indicate the name of the casino you played at but instead specify the merchant bank.
Casino Affiliate Conference in Vancouver, B.C.
New York, New York–Apr. 30, 2002, Yorktown Ventures, Inc. announces the date of its conference with a focus on affiliate marketing for online gaming operations.
The Casino Affiliate Conference http://www.casinoaffiliateconference.com, will be held on September 25 – 27, 2002 at the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
The conference will spotlight affiliate marketing in the online gaming sector. Delegates will hear experienced professionals centering on topics such as:
Casino Affiliate Programs Introduction
Successful Affiliate Partnering: from both a gaming portal webmaster’s perspective, and an online casino operator’s perspective
Affiliate Software Implementation
Marketing – how to improve customer acquisitions
Customer Care and Retention
Affiliate Marketing in Asian and European Markets
Affiliate marketing is one of the fastest Thaibet growing sectors on the Internet today. In the online gaming arena, it is already an established and proven form of business development. The Casino Affiliate Conference is an annual event specifically focused on this subject.
About Yorktown Ventures, Inc.
Yorktown Ventures, Inc. is a privately held corporation. With offices in New York City and Florida, the company maintains web sites that target niche markets, provides consulting with established land-based gaming executives as well as non-gaming business executives regarding online gaming operations.